In July, Warren Buffet suggested what needs to be done to end the deficit. With his sly grin at the end, he suggests this is really just a joke, but his point is deadly accurate.
This CNBC interview sound bite has been flipped into a chain email that, in some form or another, has landed into hundreds of thousands of inboxes over the past few months. So many people are forwarding this, that they must agree with some of the points. This has landed in my inbox at least six times. Here’s the latest version of the chain email. Have you seen it?
Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:
“I could end the deficit in 5 minutes,” he told CNBC. “You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months &8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971… before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc. Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land…all because of public pressure.
Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise. In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.
*Congressional Reform Act of 2011*
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no
pay when they are out of office.
2. Congress (past, present &future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work. If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.
THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS
If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just delete. You are one of my 20+.. Please keep it going.
As far as I can tell, Buffet only made the first quote. The rest has been added by someone who has some really good ideas. As a matter of fact, I would love to learn more about the person that wrote this first version of the email and started this chain. This could be just the person to be one of the 535 grass roots candidate to start replacing Congress with smart, uncorrupted people. What do you think?